The Challenge Vehicles: Four Kenworth trucks powered by PACCAR MX-13 and Caterpillar C-15 engines. One year of road trials covering both heavy-haul and OTR (over the road) routes.
DLM saw the results from the DURON Challenge almost immediately and could directly compare the performance of DURON against the competitor oil they
had used for over 30 years.
- Drain intervals doubled from 20,000 miles to 40,000 miles
- Essentially no oil consumption in the first 20,000 miles using DURON. With DLM’s previous supplier, one gallon of oil was consumed within the first 12,000-14,000 miles
- The engine oils Base Number (BN) at 20,000 miles was 2.5 times better with DURON than it had been with DLM’s previous supplier. Resistance to oxidation and nitration, and viscosity retention also improved
- Cost savings were realized tied to a reduction in diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning and change out.
- Up to $70,000 annual projected cost savings for the business
The business has now converted its entire diesel engine fleet to API-CK-4 approved DURON SHP 15W-40. DLM has also converted all of the driveline lubricants and greases to Petro-Canada Lubricants, including TRAXON gear fluids and PRECISION greases.
Now DLM, Petro-Canada Lubricants and CO-Energy are looking to carry out further trials to test the drain interval capabilities of DURON out to 60,000–80,000
miles and analyze the performance of the oils operating at the next level. Also, with the arrival of new 2017 Freightliner trucks, DLM plans to take advantage of the
total engine protection and fuel economy benefits offered by Petro-Canada Lubricants’ new DURON Advanced 10W-30 API FA-4 approved oils.
"It’s been a long journey to get everyone on-board and supportive of a switch to a new oil provider, but Petro-Canada Lubricants and CO-Energy made the process feel like a real team effort. Their collaborative support and guidance at every step in the process has made this a great success." Larry Slavens, Operations Manager, DLM Trucking